Day Five: Eduardo’s Road To Fitness

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the support and emails.  I have received quite a few asking what on earth TRX training is.

TRX Bands are something I’ve been using on and off for about six months.  On the basis that a picture speaks a thousand words, and a video probably even more, I’ve embedded a YouTube video that shows what they are.

I’ll write up the rest of my blog later this evening and will bring you all up to speed on how Sunday went.

Day 5: Eduardo’s Road To Fitness (Continued)

OK, so now that everyone knows what TRX Bands are, I have a confession to make.
I have yet to do my TRX Training Session.  I’ve thought about it a lot.  In fact on my bike ride today it was all I could think of to take my mind off the heat I was cycling in.  I even tried to record a bit of video of my ride today but it didn’t come out too well so I won’t subject you all to the horrendous camera shake.

The truth of the matter is I was worried that if I did a TRX band work out first thing in the morning I would effectively have ruled out any other exercise later on in the day.  Given a choice of exercising indoors and being outside, it is the wide open world beyond my front door that will get my vote every time.  At least whilst the sun is shining and it is warm.

I suppose the answer is to give the TRX Bands a go first thing in the morning and see how I feel.  I think I know the answer but hey, it’ll be worth a giggle as they say.

Following my encounter with Jesus and his ferret on Saturday, my Sunday turned out rather well, even if Jesus was only with me in Spirit as it were.

The day reminded me of many that I had as a kid.  Playing in the water with my dad, hanging off his back, watching the fish swim by the reef, ever so slightly worried that I might slip off his broad, tanned back and drift away without him realizing.  Something it turns out, that both Sara and Lucy feared yesterday whilst I was swimming with them.

To get a bit of a work out I fastened the leash from my boogie board around my ankle and towed Lucy and Sara, who clung onto the board laughing their heads off.  I swam about 250m with them following behind, had a bit of a breather, cleaned my goggles and then did another 250m set.  I think I did 750m in all before my arms gave out.

I spotted my friend the Jellyfish again and took a closer look at it.  It is purple, about 15cm across and has a decent set of stingers on him/her.  Using the WWW as my library I did some research and discovered, much to my horror, that we are about to be inundated by the things, which have, until now been kept further out to see by the influx of fresh water into the oceans from all the spring rain that Catalunya received.  Now that it is bone dry, they are moving in for the sting.  Read the article here:

The rest of my Sunday day was spent generally lazing about.  Punctuated only by my need to eat.  I had a nice, if somewhat dry, pita bread sandwich, with tuna, rocket and a slice of Edam cheese in it. I washed it down with an alcohol free beer that said ‘sans calories’ on it, which, if I’m correct is calorie free? Sounds too good to be true, as it tasted pretty good for a zero buzz beer.

My plan for Monday was to do a longer bicycle ride up in the hills.  No running and no swimming.

So as planned, I set off at 1:20PM and did about two hours twenty minutes on Rosie’s road bike.  I’ve tweaked the position slightly to stretch it out a bit, whilst it is far from perfect but it will have to suffice until I get my own Cyfac back early next month.

Today’s route started off with a fairly hard (in my present state of fitness) twenty minute climb, up and over the pass, followed by a fast descent into El Valles Orientales.  It is a hot, exposed climb with no tree cover.  The black tarmac road was like a furnace, reflecting the heat back up at me.  I climbed it the whole way in a 39×26, sweat pouring off me, rivulets of sweat running down my freshly shaved legs.  I had cut myself behind the knee shaving (girls tell me you do that as well) and the sweat founds its way in and annoyed me all the way around my route.

After a much welcome stretch along the valley, hugging the shade, I started the climb back up and over the road that leads to the coastal town of Alella.  After another flowing descent to the coast I rode along the bike path to Badalona before climbing the gradual hill back home.

Lunch was a tuna sandwich with grilled red peppers and a couple of anchovies thrown in for good measure.  All that was missing, was a glass of Fino (sherry) and I would have been truly Spanish in my meal selection.  Incidentally giving up the alcohol has not been too bad.  I thought I’d convulse and die but actually I am feeling rather chipper.

Tonight I am going to have another go at making dinner.

I am reading a great book called ‘A Little Taste of Spain’, it is full of information, with recipes and features on many of the distinctive ingredients and customs that encompass the Spanish way of life, such as olives, pimenton, the rich chocolate and churros.  None of which are likely to be in my diet in any real shape or form at the moment.  Well maybe the olives.

I am tempted to do an evening run tonight but only because it looks like a lovely evening.  Perhaps a walk in the park with the girls will fill my desire to be outside.

All in all, I’m feeling pretty good at the moment.  It is early days yet but so far I am keeping pretty active and am eating sensibly.  It’ll be interesting to see what my weight is at the end of the first week.

I will also post a summary of my work outs towards the end of the week.  So it is available in one quick easy shot.

Before I sign off tonight if anyone has ever been stung by one of the jellyfish commonly known as ‘purple stingers’ or ‘mauve stingers’ can you let me know how bad they are? I have a sneaking suspicion my luck will run out soon and I will get stung.  Given the amount of time I am spending in the sea at the moment it seems only a matter of time. If one is stung by a jellyfish, what do you do? I was told that you remove the tentacles (as if  you would really just leave them draped across your body?) and then you pour vinegar over the affected area. Is that it? Are there off the shelf creams available? I  am unlikely to have a bottle of vinegar to hand on the beach.

Answers on an email please.


Leave a comment

No comments yet.

Comments RSS TrackBack Identifier URI

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.